Friday 5 December 2014, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
Saturday 6 December 2014, 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Sunday 7 December 2014, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
The Royal Exhibition Building is located just north of Melbourne's CBD, next to the Melbourne Museum in Carlton Gardens. View google map
Entry via Nicholson Street and the entrance opposite the museum.
There is wheelchair access to the Royal Exhibition Building via the northern entrance, opposite the Melbourne Museum. The market is contained to ground level only.
Public Transport Options
• Tram 86 or 96 to corner of Nicholson and Gertrude Streets
• Free City Circle Tram to Victoria Parade
• City loop train to Parliament Station
• Bus routes 250, 251 and 402 to Rathdowne St
• Free City of Melbourne Tourist Shuttle Bus to stop No. 4
Local bicycle facilities include bike lanes on Rathdowne St and Canning St. There is also a shared pedestrian/bike path on Nicholson St. Bicycle racks on the Plaza provide ample bike parking just outside the front door.
There is some street parking available in the area with 1-2 hour non-ticketed parking.
Museum Car Park
The Melbourne Museum undercover car park is open from 6.00am to midnight daily.
Enter via Rathdowne Street or Nicholson Street.
• Week day rate: $8.00 for the first hour with a maximum day rate of $32.
• Weekend rate: $16.00 flat rate per day.
• Museum Members: $8.00 less than 2 hours. with a validated ticket (per exit per day) $12.00 more than 2 hours with a validated ticket (per exit per day).
• Designated disabled parking is available on level P2 adjacent to the lifts.
EFTPOS/CREDit card/cash facilities
All payment options are accepted.
Many of the stallholders at The Big Design Market will have Eftpos and Credit Card facilities.
There is an ATM permanently installed inside the Royal Exhibition Building near the Nicholson St entrance.
next closest ATM is located just inside the entrance to the Melbourne Museum, opposite the Royal Exhibition Building.
Food and drink
The food court is located at the centre of the market within the Royal Exhibition Building. Food trucks are located outside the Nicholson St entrance.
A selection of gourmet sandwiches, salads, fresh fruit, rice paper rolls and dumplings are available along with coffee, cold drinks and alcoholic beverages from the foodcourt. The food trucks outside will be providing food and cold drinks.
Parent & Baby Facilities
Toilets are located at the Rathdowne St end of the building on the western side and at the Nicholson St end of the building on the western side.
Baby Change Facilities
A Baby Change Room is located next to the women's toilets at the Rathdowne St end of the building on the western side. There are additional change facilities located in the disabled toilet located at the Nicholson St end of the building on the western side. Baby change tables and running water are provided.