The Big Design Market is looking to employ a highly motivated person experienced in the production and marketing of large-scale events. The successful candidate will work alongside the Event Director, Senior Events Manager and Promotions Manager on the company’s four established design market events as well as our new trade event launching this year.
The Big Design Market produces and promotes design-lead retail and trade events in Melbourne and Sydney. We provide a platform for independent designers to connect with the general public and wholesale buyers. Our current roster of events includes: The Big Design Market Sydney and Melbourne, The Big DesignTrade (all annual events) and Markit + BakeSale (biannual). We work in some of Australia’s largest, historic venues accepting only the best independent designers to exhibit. Our events regularly attract visitation of up to 50,000 people.
To connect independent designers with a broad audience of shoppers and wholesale buyers who value creativity, originality and ethical practice.
Position: Event Manager and Marketing Co-ordinator
Commences: Early March 2018
Minimum experience: 5 years planning, promoting and delivering major events
Employment basis: Full time (40hr week, Mon-Fri)
Salary: 60k–80k + super (based on experience)
Location: Footscray, VIC
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Onsite management of appointed contractors to ensure they complete tasks accurately and within scheduled times.
- Ensure caterers meet health and safety regulations, correct equipment is supplied and that they have a positive experience.
- Source, interview and appoint suitable casual event staff and volunteers, ensuring they have the necessary skills and presentation for their designated role.
- Create and manage event staff rosters (using excel spreadsheets).
- Coordinate the design, production and installation of large-scale art installations featured at the events.
- Alterations, updates and printing of exhibition floorplans (CS InDesign files)
- Collate and supply venues with required compliance documents from contractors and caterers
- Co-ordinate event signage, production and printing, including hiring and briefing freelance designers to create artwork.
- Maintain inventory of company infrastructure including event furniture, signage, displays, tools and equipment. Coordinate cleaning, maintenance, repairs and acquisition of infrastructure.
Marketing and partnerships
- Coordinate event partnerships: agreements, deadlines and deliverables.
- Coordinate advertising bookings: hire and brief freelance graphic designers to create artwork, manage artwork deadlines, check file specifications of incoming and outgoing artwork, send final artwork to necessary outlets.
- Coordinate media release distribution and maintain our media database.
- Coordinate the production and distribution of printed event collateral.
- Proof read all marketing material and stakeholder documents.
Essential: Excel and Word (Mac), with an eye for formatting and ability to layout a good-looking document.
Desirable: G Suite; Adobe Creative Suite – especially InDesign; Basecamp project management application; QuickBooks accounting software.
- You appreciate design and the arts, and the opportunity for it to be a career if it’s not already.
- You understand that being onsite at event time means long days and requires mental and physical stamina.
- You love spreadsheets, you’ve got an eye for spelling and punctuation and you’d never send out a document that doesn’t look great.
- You’re not afraid to pick up the phone and are confident meeting new people.
- You have a full drivers licence, you’re confident driving an automatic van and you don’t mind helping load and unload a truck.
- Your dream job is a long-term role that you can sink your teeth into and help shape the future of a growing business.
There are 4 of us (plus a big black Poodle called Bertie) working full-time in the office. We work hard, but we also enjoy holidays and food (cake especially). Most importantly we discuss ideas and problems as a team; everyone’s opinion is of equal value. We strive to make our events the best they can be.
Applications will be accepted via email up until midnight Friday 2 February 2018. Please supply a cover letter and CV. Any enquiries regarding the role can be directed to the same email account: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note only candidates whose applications that meet the requirements of the role will be considered and only shortlisted candidates contacted.